Good Food vs. Bad Food

 

good vs. bad Food

What exactly makes a food “good” to you? What makes something “bad”? Somewhere down the line we started labeling foods in our heads as being good or bad and I think that it not only has caused more confusion in the nutrition world, but has forced us to diet in unhealthy ways that we do not particularly enjoy. In my eyes, there is no such thing as good/bad foods. Are some foods more nutrient dense than others? Sure. But what really matters is the macronutrient content of the food.

Let’s start with a VERY basic nutrition lesson:

Every single thing you put into your body is made up of a combination of either protein, carbs or fat aka your macronutrients.

Protein and carbs both have 4 calories per gram while fat has 9 calories per gram. (For the record alcohol has 7 calories per gram so keep that in mind the next time you have a drink!)

Micronutrients are also essential in your diet and consist of your vitamins and minerals (think magnesium, iron, calcium, etc).

Every single person requires a different amount of macros depending on their current body weight, what their goals are and their activity level. For example, someone who is sedentary the majority of their day will not need as many calories as someone who is on the go all day. This is why some diet plans work for some people and not others. There is not ONE magic plan that is going to work for everyone.

This is why here at SD Evolution we prescribe our clients macro-based nutrition. This means we personally calculate your macros for YOUR body. We have found that a scientific, personal approach leads to a successful, sustainable diet created by you. Check out more info about what we offer for nutrition programs HERE.

So now that you know what macros are, how is this relevant? Well, once you have your personally calculated macronutrients for your body, you can choose to fill your day with ANY type of food that you enjoy…as long as you hit your numbers by the end of the day.┬áHaving good/bad or clean/dirty foods goes out the window. While we recommend that 80% of your diet comes from nutrient dense foods, that leaves you with 20% of freedom. That cookie you’ve been craving? Go for it. This method is known as Flexible Dieting and will allow you to achieve your goals in a more sustainable, less miserable way. There are absolutely no restrictions with Flexible Dieting. You can choose to eat whatever it is that you are craving, like I said, as long as it “fits“. This lifestyle works for SO many people whether your goal is fat-loss, maintenance or even weight gain. I personally have been Flexible Dieting for about 4 months now and not only have I almost doubled my daily caloric intake (by Reverse Dieting or slowly adding in calories each week), but I am enjoying life so much more than when I was clean eating. I don’t limit myself at family parties, I got to enjoy my own birthday cake this year unlike last year when I made myself eat a protein cake because REAL cake wasn’t “allowed“, and I am still achieving all of my fitness goals!

I didn’t believe it either at first but living a life where I no longer limit my food intake, no longer label foods as good or bad, and no longer restrict any type of food from my diet has been a huge blessing. I never thought in a million years I could eat a Pop Tart every single day (as well as chicken and PLENTY of vegetables) and still somehow be losing weight and inches. I have learned that life is all about balance. Pushing yourself too far in any direction can be damaging so finding that middle-ground in every aspect of your life can be SO fulfilling. With this I hope I have left you at LEAST curious about this newer method of dieting. It has 100% changed my life and so many of our clients lives already. Are you ready to hop on the bandwagon of freedom?

As always, email me at FitnessTeam@sd-evolution.com for more information or if you have personal questions.

~Alessandra

sdevolution

Josh & Alessandra are Connecticut natives who moved to San Diego to pursue their passion of spreading the healthy lifestyle through fitness and wellness. Both graduated from Central Connecticut State University however it wasn't until both resided on the West Coast when they decided to join forces not only as a power couple but as business partners. Using their combined knowledge and experience, they have made it their mission to continue changing lives one client at a time.